2011-01-22

I'm Calling For Limitations on Limited Edition Watches

What do you think a large luxury company REALLY thinks of you when you go out and buy one of their "limited edition" watches?

Are they thinking, "Oh this guy is a sophisticated man and must really like my watches so I better treat him extra nice." Or are they saying, "I can't believe this sucker actually bought one..."

Because if you think about it, what REALLY is a limited edition watch? It of course implies that there is a limited production, but all watches have some sort of limit to their production. And what is that production limited TO? It could be 200, but it could just as well be 200,000.

I sometimes wonder if people think these things through...

In my mind I think "limited" edition watch is a pathetic excuse for a watch company to charge even more obscene amounts of money by exploiting a fanbase or by appealing to that famous male sense of one-upmanship and exclusivity. Because on the whole, a limited edition watch is largely some silly variation of the original that you have to convince yourself you like so you can buy it, but in truth you only want it for bragging rights.

One of the limited edition watches that annoys me the most is the Omega Seamaster Limited Edition "Bond" Watches. I mean the Omega Seamaster is already the watch that James Bond wears, so why spend the extra money on the James Bond limited edition? which as far as I can tell, is just the same version with a stupid engraving on the back and a "007" carving on the seconds hand.

Do you think that James Bond wears a James Bond Limited Edition Watch? What kind of egotistical prick would he be? And what would he think of you?

I don't think he would be flattered. I think that he would probably think that you were some hopeless middle class would-be copycat who was foolish enough to think that, by simply buying a watch, you will magically transformed into James Bond, women will want to sleep you and you will become just as suave and sophisticated and he is.

My guess is that you'll still be the same yahoo, only with a nicer watch and a clearly broadcast message that you are dissatisfied with your life and aspire for something more.

On top of that, limited edition watches don't ever seem to be as exclusive as watch companies lead you to believe. Just how many limited edition watches are there?

In my opinion, the watches TRULY worth owning do not feel the need to advertise. They may have a small side note in their catalog which states their limited production (which can be VERY limited in some cases), but that's it!

But...

If you TRULY like a limited edition watch and can justify the huge difference in price over the original than by all means get one, but in my opinion, "limited edition" is just a silly marketing term to some silly variation of the original that no one really likes and no one really cares about.


I'm Calling For Limitations on Limited Edition Watches

No comments:

Post a Comment